Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I had 7 teeth pulled on 10/01/07 and I was hospitalized for strep throat yesterday. Could the two be related?

A friend of mine was saying that when I had my teeth pulled, the infection could have built up in my system and caused strep throat. I went to a county hospital that has a dental school (dentists that have their degrees, but are sort of in an internship). They are all supposed to be "real" dentists because I asked them. They gave me antibiotics to take 3 months before my oral surgery appointment (that's how long it took me to get in). Then after they pulled my teeth they told me to take hydrocodone for pain, and they gave me an oral rinse. Several days later I was having mild pain. I went back in and they said everything was healing fine, and that they had to remove some of the bone in my gums. They said rinsing with the medicated rinse should suffice. When I went to the ER yesterday, they said that was the worse case of strep throat they had seen in a long time. I had to say overnight and they pumped antibiotics through the IV all night.

I had 7 teeth pulled on 10/01/07 and I was hospitalized for strep throat yesterday. Could the two be related?
Anything is possible, however in this case, not too likely. It is that time of the year when people come down any number of nasty bugs and strep throat is seemingly running rampid this fall. The fact that you had antibiotics before your extractions killed anything that may have been running through you at the time. This is standard procedure in multiple extractions, especially if some of the teeth to be pulled are already infected. It could have been that you were in a fragile state health-wise while you were recovering which could have lent an advantage to the strep. Most likely it's just a case of bad timing.


Hope you are better soon.



Philosophy

No comments:

Post a Comment